I've been wanting to share this stuff with y'all for a while now, but I do this bad thing where I start fifteen projects and finish none of them. After about a month of these two pieces sitting around half finished, I forced myself to focus, and voila ;) Today is the day!
This particular project has two pieces that I bought from different thrift stores, and decided to make them a set. I'm currently making a stockpile for "when Bridget grows up and gets her own house some day," and these guys are definitely joining the pile.
First up: Coffee table turned bench/ottoman.
This table was in sturdy shape, but the top was pretty groovy...not as in the cool kind of groovy, as in someone had gouged a bunch of grooves out. Instead of fighting that, or getting a new piece of wood, I figured, why not just cover it with some pretty fabric? My biggest problem with covering anything...that dang foam is so expensive! After doing a little research, I found a hack which saved me a ton of money...just buy a cheap mattress pad from Walmart, and double or triple it up on your bench. I ended up using three layers, and it seems to be perfect for what I needed. I would link you back to where I found the idea, but I went through like three rabbit holes on Pinterest to find it the first time, and now I can't find it at all.
I wrapped and stapled everything on the back with a piece of batting, just to keep it all together. I did the same with my fabric. I would love to tell you a good tip for corners, but honestly, I just mess with it until it doesn't look terrible, because I'm a dang professional, clearly ;)
Next, after some light sanding, I decided to spray paint the base. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. But spray paint and I, well, we just don't get along. Every single time, I think it will be easy...and then I struggle with it every single time. SO after a quick try at that, that failed, I sanded everything down and brush painted with some Country Chic paint. This was my first time using their products, and I seriously love them. They are super easy to use, lots of beautiful colors, and they go on smooth unlike a lot of other chalk paints I've used. I went ahead and sealed it with a clear coat for durability. (Links to the paint at the bottom of post.) And, ta-da!!
Second: Old chandelier with bad wiring, turned mason jar candle-ier.
Ok guys, not gonna lie, I'm really excited about how this next one turned out. I'm picturing it on my imaginary screened in porch ;) I cut the old wires out, and did a quick, rough sand over the whole piece to make sure the paint has something to adhere too. Again with the Country Chic All Purpose paint, I did a couple of coats to match my bench, and the clear coat sealer.
After painting, I glued mini mason jars on with E6000 clear glue (which by the way, I'm obsessed with because it glues all things,) and added some candles. I still need to add a hook to the top, but I'll probably wait on that till I have a place to hang it. I just love how it turned out!
If you aren't scattered around like a crazy person(aka me,) this probably would have taken about a day versus a month. But hey, it's a journey. Or that's what I keep telling myself ;) Happy thrifting!
Pro tip: get yoself some of this Country Chic paint. It goes a long way, and I love it. That is all. - Country Chic Paint
Glue(this stuff sticks to pretty much anything, but can be kinda messy) - E6000